Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Watkins Glen: Overrated or Underrated?

Watkins Glen is the next place that I will be writing about.  Most people I meet from Fredonia are originally from either Buffalo, Rochester or the Ithaca area, so most people have probably been to or heard of Watkins Glen in Ithaca.  If you haven't, great-- I recommend a visit!  I loved it when I visited for the first time last May, though some people I know have said it's overrated.  I guess it depends on the person, but I've been on my fair share of hikes and this one is definitely in my top three.  I recommend going in the Summer or Fall (the lower trail is closed in the Winter).  I actually want to go again in the Fall, I hear the colors are fantastic and it might not be so crowded.  When I went in May with my parents, there were hundreds of tourists, so it was pretty congested.  If you don't like crowds, you probably want to go in the Fall.  Especially in the hot weather, the crowds can be pretty stuffy.

Watkins Glen is a two mile trail, consisting of breathtaking waterfalls and stone work.  The trail takes you down into the actual gorge, between 200 foot cliffs.  At one point you actually walk under a waterfall!  The water runs as a stream through the glen that you follow along the trail.  A bridge across the other side gives a great view of the cliffs and the waterfalls.  There is also a trail that runs along the top of the glen, so you get a great arial view of everything below as well.  When we went in May, it was pretty humid and hot.  What was nice about being in the gorges is the waterfalls cool you off from the heat of the day, plus there are tunnels that run through the glen that provide a temperature difference of about 10 degrees.  So if you go in the Summer, being in the glen gives you some nice natural air conditioning!

My interest in Watkins Glen began with my dad, who grew up in New Jersey.  He used to make the trip to Watkins Glen for the Watkins Glen International raceway, which is famous for its track and famous race car drivers.  I had wanted to go to Watkins Glen for some time and I suggested we take the trip the day before my birthday last May and it was such an awesome experience and totally worth the noisy crowds and tourists.  So if you're from near the Ithaca area and are willing to make the trip, I believe Watkins Glen is underrated, not overrated.  Mapquest away for a Summer/Fall trip!


                                       



























(pictures from my own Instagram and search of #watkinsglen)

No comments:

Post a Comment