Thursday, February 25, 2016

AmeriCorps

                AmeriCorps offers a variety of programs including working with museums, education, environmental work, and construction projects.  These projects send you all over the country for 6 weeks up to a year, depending on the program that you want.  AmeriCorps only offers these programs to young adults 18-24.  These programs are in place for kids that might not have wanted to attend college right away or had no interest.  AmeriCorps offers stipends and living arrangements for the duration of the projects as well as money or education scholarships after the completion of the projects.  I honestly think these programs are really great because they provide leadership qualities as well as teamwork skills.  Most of the programs involve working with 10 to 30 other people as well.  Meeting people from all over the country and working together with them for months on end is also a cool opportunity to seek different experiences.  If I actually get into an environmental program, I'm excited to meet new people and work with them.  The program that I would be interested in is a trail maintenance position, hopefully in California but I'm not particular!  
                 There is actually a program being offered that does upkeep for the Pacific Crest Trail that would start in March.  The Pacific Crest Trail runs from Mexico to Canada and AmeriCorps sends members to work on conservation projects along the trail for 7 months.  Obviously, I would not be able to do this particular program, so I'm looking for a program with a later start date for after graduation.  The description for this type of program was interesting, with a lot of high physical activity requirement and two months of living in a tent.  I have a friend that actually has hiked the Pacific Crest Trail (it took him seven months to complete!) and has encountered grizzly bears, so camping for two months straight for me will be a huge challenge.  It's hard to imagine what this experience is going to be like if I am able to do it, especially if I have to encounter grizzly bears.  Hopefully I won't have to!






                                    (screenshot from @hikingthepct Instagram)





No comments:

Post a Comment