Sunday, February 28, 2016

Winter Camping and Ice Castles

The next step in the AmeriCorps process is getting registered on the website so my application can be looked over as a potential candidate.  The application is quite long and asks for my skills and experiences.  While I'm not an expert camper, I've camped in a lot of places.  These next few posts will be about my camping and outdoor experiences!

Growing up, my parents brought me camping in the Adirondacks at 8 months old.  Since then, we camp in the Adirondacks every year in the summer and in the fall.  We usually camp during Columbus Day weekend in October and this past October it was freezing.  We've camped when it was snowing as well with the temperature being as low as 10 degrees.  It's pretty tough to camp in the cold, I think most people are used to RVs or campers.  Tent camping in snow is a totally different experience.  My dad once brought myself and my brother winter camping with 3 feet of snow on the ground.  We were doing a cross-country ski weekend getaway in Saranac Lake; I was 11 and my brother was 9.  We went cross-country skiing at night when the moon was up and we could hear coyotes howling and running in the woods as we skied.  Needless to say, my brother and I were terrified.  I don't really remember much from that trip except for that detail.  My brother and I thought we were goners for sure while my dad thought it was the coolest thing ever and was totally unconcerned.  We survived the cold and the coyotes didn't bother us!

If anyone has every been to Saranac Lake, I definitely recommend a trip, especially in February!  During the winter months, the Saranac Lake community builds giant ice castles.  Each year is a different theme, from old western to aliens to super heroes and so on.  I used to go every year before I came to Fredonia.  Since being in college, I haven't been able to go, unfortunately.  Saranac Lake is about a 3 hour drive from my house, and Fredonia is a five hour drive--not worth the trip for a weekend.

The ice castle in Saranac Lake go along with a month-long winter festival that takes place in the town each year.  There are all kinds of outdoor activities each weekend, including fireworks at the end of the festival.  It's a great family event and seeing the castle is a really cool experience.  So much time and effort go into the making of the castle, plus it's even harder some years when the weather is too warm.  The ice for the castle comes from the lake, cut up in huge blocks like in the movie Frozen (for reference, yes that's how big those blocks of ice are).  So construction totally depends on whether it's a cold and snowy winter and it's definitely disappointing if the weather is too warm.

If you're looking for a cool and beautiful place to visit, I highly recommend the Adirondacks.  You will get a great outdoor experience and see the wonders of nature!  Plus, there are cute bed-and- breakfasts and inns in the area, so you don't have to camp if you're not into that!






 
(Screenshots from @saranaclake Instagram)





2 comments:

  1. Your winter camping experience sounds unlike any other! First of all I think it's awesome that your family is so into the outdoors and you are able to go and do those things together. When I was younger, we had a camper and the only tent camping I did was in the backyard. I couldn't imagine being outside in a tent when there was that much snow.. I hate even walking to my car in that weather!!
    They do an ice castle at Chautauqua Lake too in the winter. I used to go as a kid and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I can't imagine all of the time and labor that goes into these castles, all for it to melt away when the temperatures rise again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, all of this sounds really cool and I'm glad you were able to expeirence it all of those years. I have been to the Adirondacks to camp in a cabin and it was absolutely breath taking. I think the Adirondacks are underrated and are a place that everyone should visit if they are from the area! I love the photos that you shared from Saranac Lake, it looks really pretty with the snow. I am excited to read your blog and learn more about these parks and all the beauty they hold.

    ReplyDelete