Sunday, April 10, 2016

Letchworth State Park

Letchworth Sate Park is located just outside of Geneseo, and I assume a lot of people have either been there or heard of it.  Letchworth is the "Grand Canyon of the East Coast," so if you haven't been to Letchworth, just think it's a smaller Grand Canyon and who wouldn't want to visit the Grand Canyon if it were within a few hours of you!  Unlike a few of my previous blog posts, there are A LOT of things to do and sites to visit in Letchworth. If you go for a day trip, make sure to get there early in the day if you want to even get close to seeing everything, and believe me, you'll want to see everything.

Letchworth has 66 miles of hiking trails, but there is also a road that follows next to trails in case you don't want to walk.  I definitely recommend hiking the lower trails by the waterfalls, but the upper trails you can drive to and stop to admire the views.  You'll also probably want to check out the Glen Iris Inn.  The Glen Iris is positioned right over the most known waterfall of Letchworth, and the biggest.  The Glen Iris is very picturesque and homely, and the waterfall is magnificent.  I camped at Letchworth two years ago during Spring Break and Letchworth's water levels were in the flood zone.  The water was so high and it made for some really powerful waterfalls and great views.  This year I camped again with my family in Letchworth for Spring Break and the water levels were normal; still awesome views but not quite the same.

Another cool thing to do is visit the museum, if you have time after sight-seeing and hiking!  The history of Letchworth is really interesting.  Many of the buildings and trails were created by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the early 1900s.  Letchworth was also known for its Indian heritage sites as well.

If you're lucky and you go on a sunny day, you'll also most likely see rainbows over the waterfalls.  This is probably one of my favorite things about Letchworth and there are sometimes double rainbows too!  They're beautiful!  So take a trip to Letchworth this summer or in the Fall!  Make sure to pencil out a whole day so you can really experience the beauty and views of Letchworth fully!




                                                      




1 comment:

  1. These photos are amazing! I feel as if from being within a relative drive-able distance that I should totally go and check this out. Kind of embarrassing that it's called the Grand Canyon of the East Coast and I have yet to explore this. You might have given me something to go and do this summer! I couldn't imagine camping when water levels were that high, I would definitely be nervous!!

    ReplyDelete